Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2387 Bṛhannāradīyapurāṇa / बृहन्नारदीयपुराण
TitleBṛhannāradīyapurāṇa / बृहन्नारदीयपुराण
Other related names
- Gāḍagīla, Janārdana Koṇḍadeva, former owner
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2387
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9957555713503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageIn Sanskrit and Marathi
Selection from the larger purāṇic work (adhyāya 31) dedicated to the Hindu deity Viṣṇu. Selection deals with the problem of sin (pāpa), its causes, as well as the means to remove it for the purpose of being liberated from the snares of the cycle of life and death (samsāra). The worship of Nārāyaṇa (a form of Viṣṇu) is presented as one means of liberation. Additional note at the end of manuscript in second hand, written in Marathi, indicating the former owner of the text (f. 18r)
- Title from title page (f. 1r).
- Written in 9-11 lines per leaf.
- 18 leaves foliated 1-18, lower right verso.
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (18 leaves) : 8 x 11 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīṣṭahannāradīyapurāṇe ekatriṃśo 'dhyāyaḥ // 31 // śrīśivārpaṇam astu // cha // cha // janārdan koṃḍadeva gāṅagilayāṃce pustaka (f. 18r).
- Formerly owned by Janārdan Koṇḍadeva Gāṅgilayām (f. 18r).
- Vishnu (Hindu deity)
- Nārāyaṇa (Hindu deity)
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Puja (Hinduism)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2387: Bṛhannāradīyapurāṇa are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
fol. Inside front cover]-1r
5696_0001.tif (27.5 MB)
5696_0001_thumb.jpg (3.2 KB)
5696_0001_web.jpg (278.8 KB)