Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2403 Liṅgayātrā / लिङ्गयात्रा
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2403
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9957556333503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Collection of two texts dedicated to pilgrimage routes (yātrās) around the sacred Hindu center of Vārāṇasī. The first text (f. 1r-7r) names a large set of liṅgas, the liturgical emblem of the deity Śiva, around the city, prescribing ritual bathing at each of the sacred sites (tīrthas), many of which are along one of the three rivers of Vārāṇasī. It names several well known sites such as Mahākāla, Viśveśvara, Someśvara, and Vigneśvara, among others known in the city. The second text (f. 8r-10v) is taken from a section of the Pañcakrośīmāhātmya of the Brahmavaivartapurāṇa called the Pañcakrośīyātrā or the Pilgrimage route of the city of five krośa (another traditional name for the city of Vārāṇasī). Primary purpose, like the first part, is to highlight centers sacred to the god Śiva and especially in his liṅga form. The manuscript is well worn with many smudges throughout the text through constant use in private or public meditation and prayer, forming a mental pilgrimage (yātrā) of the physical spaces named in the text.
- Title from title colophon (f. 7r); second title Pañcakrośīyātrā from second colophon (f. 10v).
- Written in 11-12 lines per leaf.
- 10 leaves foliated 1-10, upper left and lower right verso.
- Dated saṃvat 1798 cairakṛṣṇa 9 śrukre samyak (Sunday, March 26, 1741) (f. 10v).
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; double vertical black lines mark margins.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (10 leaves) : 12 x 25 cm
ColophonColophon: iti brahmavaivartte paṃcakrāśīmahātme pa[ṃ]cakrośīpātrāsamāptā // śubhabhavatusaṃ[vat] 1798 cairakṛṣṇa 9 śrukre samyak (f. 10v).
- Siva (Hindu deity)
- Lingas (Śaivism)
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Hindu pilgrims and pilgrimages--India
- Bathing customs--India
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2403: Liṅgayātrā are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.