Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2455 Bilvaṣoḍaśakastotra / बिल्वषोडशकस्तोत्र
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2455
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9957581623503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Text outlines sixteen parts of a ceremony involving the offering of sacred bilva leaves (from the Bael tree), while honoring and worshiping the Hindu deity Śiva, including his liṅga form. Also discussed are the benefits that result from performing the rites (such as the removal of all of one's sins). Though typically identified with the Skandapurāṇa, the Sahyādrikhaṇḍa is here said to derive from the Padmapurāṇa.
- Title from colophon (f. 4r); alternate title Bilvaṣoḍaśastotra from front and back title page (f. 1r and 4v).
- Written in 7 lines per leaf.
- 4 leaves foliated , 2-4, lower right verso.
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (4 leaves) : 12 x 13 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīpadmapurāṇe sahyādrikhaṃḍe śivopākhyāne bilvaṣoḍaśakastotra // (f. 4r).
- Lingas (Śaivism)
- Siva (Hindu deity)
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Bael (Tree)
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2455: Bilvaṣoḍaśakastotra are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.