Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2503 Vīreśvarastotra / वीरेश्वरस्तोत्र
TitleVīreśvarastotra / वीरेश्वरस्तोत्र
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2503
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9958213763503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Small manuscript for private use, recitation, and prayer, celebrating the Śiva liṅga named Vīreśvara and narrated by the legendary figure Viśvānara. The first eight verses (chapter 10.131-138 of the Kāśīkhaṇḍa) consist of a stotra sung by Viśvānara upon seeing a child he took to be a form of Śiva (Vīreśvara); the rest of the text deals with how he obtained a son of his own and the benefits that result (such as obtaining a son) from the performance/recitation of the stotra.
- Title from colophon (f. 6r); alternate title Viśveśvarastotra named on title page (f. 1r), though may be a mistranscription of the name Viśvānara.
- Written in 7 lines per leaf.
- 6 leaves foliated , 2-5, , upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; verse dividers highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double red line.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (6 leaves) : 9 x 14 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīskaṃdapurāṇe kāśīkhaṃḍe vīrśvarastotraṃ saṃpūrṇaṃ // (f. 6r).
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Siva (Hindu deity)
- Hindu mythology
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2503: Vīreśvarastotra are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.