Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2590 Gītagovinda / गीतगोविन्द
- Jayadeva, active 12th century
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2590
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9974013183503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript used for recitation and contemplation and is a poetic exploration of the amorous relationship between the Hindu deities Kṛṣṇa and Rādhā. Kṛṣṇa is presented not as an avatar of Viṣṇu, but as the essence of the universe itself. First literary work to develop fully the figure of Rādhā, the cow herdess, and her relationship with Kṛṣṇa. Poem is often approached as a devotional text by modern Vaiṣṇavas.
- Title from colophon (f. 19r).
- Written in 10-11 lines per leaf.
- 19 leaves foliated 1-19, upper left and lower right verso.
- Dated saṃvat 1919 (1858) (f. 19r).
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; verse divisions in red.
Extent1 item (19 leaves) : 15 x 30 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīgītagoviṃde jayadevaviracite māhākāvyekhādhīnabhartṛkāvarṇane sraprītāṃ varonāmadvādaśaḥ sargaḥ // 12 // 1919 (f. 19r).
- Rādhā (Hindu deity)
- Love poetry, Indic
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2590: Gītagovinda are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.