Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2639 Saptasalokīgītāṭīkāvāle / सप्तसलोकीगीताटीकावाले
TitleSaptasalokīgītāṭīkāvāle / सप्तसलोकीगीताटीकावाले
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2639
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9945389963503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageIn Sanskrit and Hindi
Collection of different texts of praise, unified as a kind of popular pocket book to be used in private or public veneration of various Hindu deities. First two sections are a selection of verses taken from different sections of the well known Bhagavadgītā (chapters 8-11, 15) with an extensive Hindi commentary (ṭīkā) in the first section. Both are presented as a discourse between the legendary figure Arjuna and the deity Kṛṣṇa. The verses include discussion of themes regarding self-realization and mental focus (on the Lord) and draws parallels between such knowledge and the knowledge of the Vedas. Third section is dedicated to the ten Viṣṇu avatāras and derived from different sections of the Mahābharata. A number of other praise (stotra) texts follows and includes a short collection of stotras attributed to the medieval philosopher Śaṃkara. Text is incomplete, but ends with a set of praises and mantras (especially om̐) directed at the deity Śiva. Manuscript includes 13 painted illustrations, most of which are for the avatāras of Viṣṇu; there is an illustration of Gaṇeśa and Śiva, each with four arms, depicted on the front cover (f. 1r).
- Dated saṃvat 1856 (1799) (f. 57r).
- Title from colophon of first section (f. 13r).
- Written in 3-5 lines per leaf.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (81 leaves) : 10 x 17 cm
- Vishnu (Hindu deity)--Art
- Krishna (Hindu deity)
- Arjuna (Hindu mythology)
- Siva (Hindu deity)--Art
- Gaṇeśa (Hindu deity)--Art
- Hindu mantras
- Avatars (Religion)
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Illuminations (visual works)
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2639: Saptasalokīgītāṭīkāvāle are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- fol. 1v — Illuminated title page, f. 1v
5580_0007.tif (20.6 MB)
5580_0007_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
5580_0007_web.jpg (293.0 KB)
Decoration: Illuminated title page, f. 1v
mscoll390_item2639_ref1.tif (111.8 MB)
mscoll390_item2639_ref1_thumb.jpg (3.9 KB)
mscoll390_item2639_ref1_web.jpg (224.4 KB)