Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 285 Dānacandrikā / दानचन्द्रिका
TitleDānacandrikā / दानचन्द्रिका
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 285
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9959063093503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is a manual or handbook containing the rules and regulations (Hindu law, Dharma) governing the giving and receiving of gifts and donations, such as to and from Brahmans; as well as the rules governing punishments for great crimes (mahāpātaka).
- Title from colophon (f. 103v).
- Written in 9 lines per leaf.
- 103 leaves foliated 1-103, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout. Contains a nine-sectioned chart of various deities such as the four-armed Viṣṇu or Śiva (the lord of Umā) as well as different Vedic gods (f. 73v); also contains a diagram of concentric circles containing incremental numbers (f. 94v).
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (103 leaves) : 11 x 25 cm
ColophonColophon: iti dānacaṃdrīkāsamāptā // (f. 103v).
- Gifts--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Hindu law
- Crime--Religious aspects
- Vishnu (Hindu deity)
- Siva (Hindu deity)
- Gods, Vedic
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 285: Dānacandrikā are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.