Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 317 Vaiśākhamāhātmya / वैशाखमाहात्म्य
TitleVaiśākhamāhātmya / वैशाखमाहात्म्य
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 317
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9958213853503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is a praise of the month of Vaiśākha (April-May) to be used in public or private meditation, prayer, or practice. Vaiśākha is presented as the best among the best of the months and is considered a favorite of the deity Viṣṇu. Contains descriptions of the various rites and rituals (such as bathing) that a devotee should perform during the month and the benefits that are received for doing so (such as attaining one's goals and receiving the benefits associated with pilgrimage). Opening folio is cut short on left side and some text is lost.
- Title from colophon (f. 54r).
- Written in 11-13 lines per leaf.
- 54 leaves foliated 1-54, upper left and lower right verso.
- Dated saṃvat 1944 (1887) (f. 54r).
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (54 leaves) : 11 x 24 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīskaṃdapurāṇe vaiśākhamāhātmye caturviṃśodhyāyaḥ // śrīkāśīviśveśvarārpaṇam astu // saṃvat 1944 āśvinavadya 1 maṃdavāsare madhyāhe pūrṇaṃ // śrīvaiśākhamādhavārpaṇam astu // śrīkṛṣṇaryaṇam astu // śrībrahmaṇe namaḥ // (f. 54r).
- Vishnu (Hindu deity)
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Bathing customs--India
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 317: Vaiśākhamāhātmya are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.