Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 333 Ādipurāṇa / आदिपुराण
TitleĀdipurāṇa / आदिपुराण
Other related names
- Vyāsa Gaurīśa, former owner
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 333
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9954107793503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageIn Sanskrit and Hindi
Incomplete manuscript, containing up to 25 and including part of 26 of 29 chapters (adhyāya); an Upapurāṇa dealing with the life and deeds of the Hindu deity Kṛṣṇa, such as when he splits the Yamalārjjuna tree; Kṛṣṇa not Viṣṇu is posited as the highest reality; not to be confused with the Jaina work or the Brahmāpurāṇa also titled Ādipurāṇa. Additional prayer in Hindi written in second scribal hand on a different kind of paper, found folded between folios 76 and 77, now following the end of the manuscript.
- Title from title page (f. 1r).
- Written in 9 lines per leaf.
- 114 leaves foliated 1-113, [i], upper left and lower right verso.
- Colophon (chapter 23): ity ādipurāṇe śrīkṛṣṇanāradasaṃvāde mṛdbhakṣaṇe svarūpadarśanaṃ nāmatriviṃśodhyāyaḥ // 23 // (f. 102v).
- Colophon (chapter 25): ity ādipurāṇe yamalārjjunabhaṃgo nāmapaṃcaviṃśatimodhyāyaḥ // 25 // (f. 110r).
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double black line.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (114 leaves) : 14 x 30 cm
ColophonColophon (chapter 23): ity ādipurāṇe śrīkṛṣṇanāradasaṃvāde mṛdbhakṣaṇe svarūpadarśanaṃ nāmatriviṃśodhyāyaḥ // 23 // (f. 102v).
- Comissioned by Vyāsa Gaurīśa (f. 1r).
- Krishna (Hindu deity)
- Hindu mythology
- Adventure stories
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 333: Ādipurāṇa are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Loose leaf 1 recto] and [Loose leaf 2 recto
5620_0114.tif (54.0 MB)
5620_0114_thumb.jpg (7.4 KB)
5620_0114_web.jpg (451.1 KB)
Loose leaf 1 verso] and [Loose leaf 2 verso
5620_0115.tif (55.0 MB)
5620_0115_thumb.jpg (6.6 KB)
5620_0115_web.jpg (390.9 KB)