Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 336 Śravaṇadvādaśīvrata / श्रवणद्वादशीव्रत
TitleŚravaṇadvādaśīvrata / श्रवणद्वादशीव्रत
Other related names
- Bhāṇḍāri Śaṃbhū Bhaṭṭa, scribe
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 336
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9954494093503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Observances (vrata) and worship (pūjā), especially to forms of the Hindu deity Viṣṇu. Rites are to be performed on special occasions during the month of Bhādrapada (August-September) related to the Śravaṇa star over which Viṣṇu presides. Other rites include fasting and bathing as well as the worship of Viṣṇu's avatāras (such as Kālkī and the Buddha, Kṛṣṇa, and Rāma). Presented as a discourse of the deity Brahmā. Contains a discussion of the sacred landscape of India, including names of various major rivers such as the Narmadā, Gaṅgā, Yamunā, as well as the landscape of Kashmir, and other places sacred to Hinduism. Work likely taken from a larger work such as the Brahmapurāṇa, Brahmavaivṛttapurāṇa, or other purāṇas.
- Title from title page (f. 1r).
- Written in 12-13 lines per leaf.
- 5 leaves foliated 1-5, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; diagram or symbol drawn after the scribe's name (f. 5r).
- Scribe is Bhāṇḍāri Śaṃbhū Bhaṭṭa (f. 5r).
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (5 leaves) : 12 x 29 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīśravaṇadvādaśīvrataṃ samāptaṃ // cha // śubhamastu // bhāṃḍāriśaṃbhūbhaṭṭena likhitaṃ // (f. 5r).
- Hindu astronomy
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Hindu mythology
- Vishnu (Hindu deity)
- Avatars (Religion)
- Sacred space--India
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 336: Śravaṇadvādaśīvrata are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.