Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 339 Māghamāhātmya / माघमाहात्म्य
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 339
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9954526213503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Text dedicated to the greatness (māhātmya) of the month of Māgha (January/February), especially sacred to the Hindu deity Viṣṇu; contains several Hindu legends about the merits of bathing and expiating sins during this particular month; presented as a discourse between the legendary sage Vasiṣṭa and King Dīlīpa; was originally housed together with Ms. Coll. 390, Item 340.
- Title from colophon (f. 77v).
- Written in 7-10 lines per leaf.
- 76 leaves foliated 1-74, 76-77, upper left and lower right verso; complete, no text missing.
- Dated saṃvat 1775 (1818) by cataloger, based on date of Ms. Coll. 390, Item 340, as well as the outer wrapping of both manuscripts.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; appears to be the same scribal hand, size and type of paper, as Item 340.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (76 leaves) : 10 x 25 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīpadmapurāṇe uttarakhaṃḍe māghamāhātmye vasiṣṭadīlīpasaṃvade - - viṃśodhyāyaḥ // (f. 77v).
- Hindu astrology
- Vishnu (Hindu deity)
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Hindu mythology
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 339: Māghamāhātmya are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
fol. 74v-76r [=75r
5623_0074.tif (90.8 MB)
5623_0074_thumb.jpg (7.5 KB)
5623_0074_web.jpg (520.9 KB)
fol. 76v [=75v]-77r [=76r
5623_0075.tif (90.8 MB)
5623_0075_thumb.jpg (7.2 KB)
5623_0075_web.jpg (484.2 KB)