Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 340 Prayāgamāhātmya / प्रयागमाहात्म्य
TitlePrayāgamāhātmya / प्रयागमाहात्म्य
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 340
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9954526273503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Promotes the greatness of the town of Prayāga (modern Allahabad) as a pilgrimage center sacred to the Hindu deity Viṣṇu and all of the benefits associated with such sacred centers (removal of sin, worldly benefits, release from the cycle of life and death, etc.); presented as a discourse between the deity Brahmā and the legendary figure Nārada; originally housed together with Ms. Coll. 390, Item 339.
- Title from colophon (f. 40r).
- Written in 9 lines per leaf.
- 40 leaves foliated 1-40, upper left and lower right verso.
- Dated saṃvat 1875 (1818) (f. 40r); the date śaka 1740 (1818).
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double red line; some pages treated with yellow dye; appears to be the same scribal hand, size and type of paper, as Item 339.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (40 leaves) : 10 x 25 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrībrahmāṃḍapurāṇe prayāgamāhātmye brahmanāradasaṃvāde dvādaśodhyāyaḥ // 12 // 30 // saṃ[vat] // 1875 // (f. 40r).
- Vishnu (Hindu deity)
- Hindu pilgrims and pilgrimages
- Sacred space--India
- Hinduism--Prayers and devotions
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 340: Prayāgamāhātmya are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.