Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 357 Kathitaikādaśīpauṣaśuklapakṣasya / कथितैकादशीपौषशुक्लपक्षस्य
TitleKathitaikādaśīpauṣaśuklapakṣasya / कथितैकादशीपौषशुक्लपक्षस्य
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 357
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9954721063503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Sections from two Purāṇas for fasts at different times of year. The first part, said to be from the Brahmapurāṇa, is a discourse between the legendary king Yudhiṣṭhira and the Hindu deity Kṛṣṇa describing eleven days of fast observance for the removal of sins, etc., during the dark half of the month of Māgha (January-February). The second part, said to be from the Bhaviṣyottarapurāṇa, is incomplete and contains a myth about the Vedic deity Indra who curses a gandharva (heavenly singer) into a piśāca (minor demon) who must then perform rites of expiation to remove the curse.
- Title from title incipit (f. 1v).
- Written in 9-10 lines per leaf.
- 6 leaves foliated 1-4, 6-7, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (6 leaves) : 10 x 23 cm
ColophonColophon: iti brahama[??]purāṇe māghakṛṣṇaikādaśīṣaṭtilārkhyavratakathā samāptā // (f. 4v).
- Hindu astrology
- Hindu mythology
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Fasting--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Krishna (Hindu deity)
- Yudhiṣṭhira (Hindu mythology)
- Indra (Hindu deity)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 357: Kathitaikādaśīpauṣaśuklapakṣasya are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
fol. 6v [=5v]-7r [=6r
5612_0005.tif (68.8 MB)
5612_0005_thumb.jpg (9.0 KB)
5612_0005_web.jpg (579.2 KB)