Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 364 Māghamāhātmya / माघमाहात्म्य
TitleMāghamāhātmya / माघमाहात्म्य
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 364
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9957943903503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript represents chapter 25 of a text celebrating the greatness of the month of Māgha (January-February), to be used in public or private recitation and prayer for the purpose of performing rites and ceremonies such as removing sin (including brahmahatyā -- the murder of a Brahman) and those who give worldly benefits to the devotee.
- Title from colophon (f. 6r).
- Written in 8 lines per leaf.
- 6 leaves foliated 1-6, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes blacked out.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (6 leaves) : 10 x 22 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīvāyupurāṇe māghamāhātmye paṃcaviṃśodhyā[ya]ḥ // (f. 6r).
- Hindu astronomy
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Hindu mythology
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Sins--Religious aspects
- Murder--India--Religious aspects
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 364: Māghamāhātmya are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.