Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 372, Item 373, Item 374 Anantavratakathā / अनन्तव्रतकथा
TitleAnantavratakathā / अनन्तव्रतकथा
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 372, Item 373, Item 374
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9956438413503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Instructions for and myths about performing special rites for Hindu women during auspicious times of year. The first part, Anantavratakathā, is a ceremony honouring the deity Viṣṇu (in the form of Ananta) on the day of the full moon in the month of Bhādra (August-September), taking the structure of a dialogue between the deity Kṛṣṇa and the legendary king Yudhiṣṭira; rite is intended to bring longevity and prosperity to a marriage and is performed by both partners. This text is followed by a short text calling itself Pūjākrama. The second part, Haritālikāvratakathā, takes the structure of a dialogue between the deity Śiva (as Hara) and Pārvatī (as Gaurī); rite is performed by both married and unmarried women to either extend the life of their husbands (and so avoid widowhood) or to procure a husband. The third part, Ṛṣipañcamīvratakathā, takes the structure of a dialogue, also between Kṛṣṇa and Yudhiṣṭira; rite is performed by young woman and is intended to remove sins between menstrual cycles and discusses accumulated karma (and sins) of previous births.
- Title from incipit (Part 1, f. 1r).
- Written in 7-10 lines per leaf.
- 20 leaves foliated (Part 1) 1-9, (Part 2) 1-6, (Part 3) 1-5, upper left and lower right verso.
- Colophon (Part 1): iti śrī bhaviṣyottarapurāṇe kṛṣṇayudhiṣṭirasaṃvāṃde anaṃtavratakathāsaṃpūrṇaṃ // (f. 9v).
- Colophon (Part 2): iti śrī bhaviṣyottarapurāṇe haragaurisaṃvāde haritālikāvratakathāsaṃpūrṇaṃ // (f. 6v).
- Colophon (Part 3): iti śrī bhavi[ṣyottara]purāṇe ṛṣipaṃcami[vrata]samāptā // (f. 5v).
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double red line.
- Previously housed with Item 371; previously listed as three separate manuscripts: Item 372, Item 373, and Item 374, but all manuscripts are part of the same purāṇic work, on the same general topic (women's vows), and in the same scribal hand on the same paper.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (20 leaves) : 25 x 14 cm
ColophonColophon (Part 1): iti śrī bhaviṣyottarapurāṇe kṛṣṇayudhiṣṭirasaṃvāṃde anaṃtavratakathāsaṃpūrṇaṃ // (f. 9v).
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Women in Hinduism
- Menstruation--Religious aspects
- Marriage--Religious aspects
- Krishna (Hindu deity)
- Yudhiṣṭhira (Hindu mythology)
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 372, Item 373, Item 374: Anantavratakathā are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
fol. 1v [=10v]-2r [=11r
5649_0010.tif (99.1 MB)
5649_0010_thumb.jpg (9.1 KB)
5649_0010_web.jpg (561.7 KB)
fol. 2v [=11v]-3r [=12r
5649_0011.tif (99.1 MB)
5649_0011_thumb.jpg (9.4 KB)
5649_0011_web.jpg (571.6 KB)
fol. 3v [=12v]-4r [=13r
5649_0012.tif (99.1 MB)
5649_0012_thumb.jpg (9.1 KB)
5649_0012_web.jpg (559.6 KB)
fol. 4v [=13v]-5r [=14r
5649_0013.tif (99.1 MB)
5649_0013_thumb.jpg (9.5 KB)
5649_0013_web.jpg (582.7 KB)
fol. 5v [=14v]-6r [=15r
5649_0014.tif (99.1 MB)
5649_0014_thumb.jpg (9.4 KB)
5649_0014_web.jpg (517.6 KB)
fol. 6v [=15v]-1r [=16r
5649_0015.tif (99.1 MB)
5649_0015_thumb.jpg (7.6 KB)
5649_0015_web.jpg (527.4 KB)
fol. 1v [=16v]-2r [=17r
5649_0016.tif (99.1 MB)
5649_0016_thumb.jpg (9.3 KB)
5649_0016_web.jpg (554.2 KB)
fol. 2v [=17v]-3r [=18r
5649_0017.tif (99.1 MB)
5649_0017_thumb.jpg (9.3 KB)
5649_0017_web.jpg (577.3 KB)
fol. 3v [=18v]-4r [=19r
5649_0018.tif (99.1 MB)
5649_0018_thumb.jpg (9.3 KB)
5649_0018_web.jpg (545.9 KB)
fol. 4v [=19v]-5r [=20r
5649_0019.tif (99.1 MB)
5649_0019_thumb.jpg (9.5 KB)
5649_0019_web.jpg (577.8 KB)