Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 377 Viṣṇusahasranāmāvalī / विष्णुसहस्रनामावली
TitleViṣṇusahasranāmāvalī / विष्णुसहस्रनामावली
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 377
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9959356183503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Text used in public or private recitation and prayer, employing mantras in praise and worship (pūjā) of the Hindu deity Viṣṇu. Manuscript consists primarily of 99 numbered mantras referring to various names of Viṣṇu, as well as some introductory verses although the title refers to the thousand names of Viṣṇu and the number "1,000" is written after the final mantra. Manuscript was folded in half, likely to be carried about on the person of the Vaiṣṇava devotee.
- Title from incipit.
- Written in 10-14 lines per leaf.
- 12 leaves foliated 1-11, , upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; some folios treated with yellow turmeric powder.
Extent1 item (12 leaves) : 11 x 24 cm
- Vishnu (Hindu deity)
- Hindu hymns, Sanskrit
- Hindu mantras
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 377: Viṣṇusahasranāmāvalī are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.