Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 380 Vedasāraśivasahasranāma / वेदसारशिवसहस्रनाम
TitleVedasāraśivasahasranāma / वेदसारशिवसहस्रनाम
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 380
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9954757353503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Praise (stotra) of the Hindu deity Śiva and a thousand of his different names. Presented as a dialogue between the Hindu deity Kṛṣṇa, the legendary sage Mārkaṇḍeya, the legendary author Vyāsa, and others. Text attributed to the Padmapurāṇa though no section, chapter, or verse is mentioned; it is employed in various celebrations and festivals honoring Śiva.
- Title from title page (f. 1r).
- Written in 8 lines per leaf.
- 20 leaves foliated 1-20, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and extensive additions and notes in margins by a second scribal hand; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double red line.
- Well used manuscript with residual hand oils from turning folios, especially on right side.
- Likely written in Maharashtra, as the regional deity Pāṇḍuraṅga (a form of Kṛṣṇa) is named in the colophon (f. 20r).
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (20 leaves) : 11 x 21 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrī pādme ma[hā]purāṇe paṃcapañcāśatsahastikāyāṃsaṃhitāyāṃ uttarabhāge bilvakeśvare śrīkṛṣṇamārkaṃḍeyavyāsādisaṃvāde vedasārasahasranāma ekonanavatitamo 'dhyāyaḥ śrībhavānīharihareśvarārpaṇam astu śake bāṇādrivītīṃdumitebhād[ra]sitedale keśavasya tithau bhūmijanur vāre samāpitam likhitvā pāṇḍuraṅgeṇa bhīmāya pratipāditam śivanāmasahasraṃyattena tuṣyatuśaṅkaraḥ // bhīmasyaivadhruvam (f. 20r).
- Siva (Hindu deity)
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Krishna (Hindu deity)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 380: Vedasāraśivasahasranāma are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.