Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 390 Viṣṇusahasranāma / विष्णुसहस्रनाम
TitleViṣṇusahasranāma / विष्णुसहस्रनाम
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 390
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9945037253503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Text praising the thousand names of the Hindu deity Viṣṇu, attributed to the epic Mahābhārata, but circulated as an independent devotional text used in private or public meditation and prayer. Presented as a discourse between the legendary warriors Bhīṣma and king Yudhiṣṭhira.
- Colophon, introduction of speakers, and double daṇḍas in red. Mistakes covered over with yellow or blacked out. Some marginal corrections.
- Written in 7 lines per leaf.
- Poleman notes: "Although this text is assigned to the Anuśāsanikaparva by the copyist, it is actually from the Śāntiparva"; however, the text does not appear in the critical edition of the Śāntiparva.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (30 leaves) : 11 x 16 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrī manmahābhārate śatasāhasryāṃ saṃhitāyāṃ vayyāsikyām anuśāsanike parvaṇibhīṣṃayudhiṣṭhirasavāde śrīviṣṇordivyasahasranāmastotraṃ sa[ṃ]pūrṇaṃ // cha (f. 30r)
- Vishnu (Hindu deity)
- Yudhiṣṭhira (Hindu mythology)
- Bhīṣma (Hindu mythology)
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Epic literature, Sanskrit
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 390: Viṣṇusahasranāma are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.