Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 440 Śivakavacastotra / शिवकवचस्तोत्र
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 440
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9958065953503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Small manuscript for personal consultation and recitation intended to protect symbolically followers and devotees of the Hindu deity Śiva like protective armor (kavaca). The text functions as a kind of amulet. Reciting the mantras and verses of this text will help to ward off disease and bring health and other benefits to the worshiper as well as to all of humanity. Lacks an end.
- Title from title page (f. 1r).
- Written in 9-10 lines per leaf.
- 8 leaves foliated 1-8, lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins. Decorative floral design on front cover in red and black ink (f. 1r). Formerly housed with Item 441.
Extent1 item (8 leaves) : 10 x 15 cm
- Siva (Hindu deity)
- Amulets (Hinduism)
- Hindu mantras
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Diseases--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 440: Śivakavacastotra are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- fol. 1r — floral decoration f. 1r
3515_0000.tif (23.6 MB)
3515_0000_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
3515_0000_web.jpg (389.3 KB)
Decoration: floral decoration f. 1r