Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 455 Gaṇeśastotra / गणेशस्तोत्र
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 455
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9958277473503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Tiny manuscript, a kind of pocket book, for personal use, recitation, and prayer dedicated to the worship and praise of Hindu deity Gaṇeśa, the elephant-headed lord of obstacles. Praises the deity in eight verses (āṣṭika), although there are missing parts of verses four through six. Text is possibly derived from the Padmapurāṇa, Uttarakhaṇḍa.
- Title from colophon (f. 3v); alternate title Gaṇeśāṣṭaka supplied by cataloger.
- Written in 4 lines per leaf.
- 3 leaves foliated 1-3, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; Some text added in a second hand (f. 1r and f. 3r).
- Formerly housed with Ms. Coll. 390: Items 453, 454, 456, and 457.
- Folios turn like a Western book (right to left), and text is aligned to the top on both recto and verso; folios are treated with yellow coloring.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (3 leaves) : 7 x 13 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīvedavyāsaviracitaṃ śrīgaṇeśastotraṃ saṃpūrṇaṃ // (f. 3v).
- Gaṇeśa (Hindu deity)
- Hindu hymns, Sanskrit
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Puja (Hinduism)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 455: Gaṇeśastotra are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.