Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 459 Śivavarmakathana / शिववर्मकथन
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 459
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9958213883503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Small manuscript for private consultation and recitation containing mantras to be used in a ritual intended to protect devotees of the Hindu deity Śiva from harm (including disease, poverty, and the like). Text also contains a short myth associated with the ritual of placing symbolic armor onto the body of the practitioner functioning as a kind of amulet of protection. Colophon states that the text is from the twelfth chapter of the "Brahmottarapurāṇa" but should likely be "Brahmottarakhaṇḍa" of the Skandapurāṇa (f. 5r).
- Title from colophon (f. 5r); alternate title Śivakavacastotramantra from incipit (f. 1r).
- Written in 15-17 lines per leaf.
- 5 leaves foliated 1-5, lower right verso.
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins.
Extent1 item (5 leaves) : 11 x 16 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīskaṃdapurāṇe brahmottarapurāṇe śivavarmakathanaṃ nāmadvādaśodhyāyaḥ (f. 5r).
- Siva (Hindu deity)
- Amulets (Hinduism)
- Hindu mythology
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 459: Śivavarmakathana are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.