Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 478 Mahimnaḥstava / महिम्नःस्तव
- Puṣpadanta, active 10th century
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 478
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9959555633503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript to be used for public or private recitation and prayer and is dedicated to the praise and worship of the Hindu deity Śiva; contains a vivid description of Śiva as the one who haunts cremation grounds along with his demon followers among other descriptions.
- Title from colophon (f. 10r); alternative title Mahimnaḥstotra provided by cataloger.
- Written in 5-6 lines per leaf.
- 10 leaves foliated 1-10, upper left and lower right verso.
- Dated saṃvat 1864 āṣāḍasudi 13 śukra (Saturday, July 18, 1807) (f. 10r).
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with triple black lines. Some folios treated with yellow turmeric powder.
Extent1 item (10 leaves) : 10 x 11 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīpuṣpadantagaṃdharvarājaviracitaṃ mahimnastavaḥ samāptaḥ // śrīrastu śubhaṃ bhavatu samvat 1864 āṣāḍasudi 13 śukre likhitam idam pustakaṃ viśveśvareṇa nepāladeśe kāṃtipurarājasthāne // (f. 10r).
- Formerly part of the royal library in Kathmandu (Kantipur), Nepal, possibly commissioned by king Bhimsen Thapa (reigned 1806-1837).
- Siva (Hindu deity)
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Hinduism--Prayers and devotions
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--Nepal--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 478: Mahimnaḥstava are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.