Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 516 Śṛṅgāraśataka / शृङ्गारशतक
TitleŚṛṅgāraśataka / शृङ्गारशतक
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 516
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9959625653503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is used for recitation and study and is a collection of poetic aphorisms by the well-known poet-philosopher Bhartṛhari. The text is the second part of a three-part work, each consisting of a little more than one hundred (śataka) verses. Part 2 (Śṛṅgāraśataka) is one hundred aphorisms on sexual desire. Commentary on the main text is by the same author and runs parallel above and below it.
- Title from colophon (f. 13r); alternate title Śṛṅgāraśatakaṭīkā from colophon.
- Written in 15-18 lines per leaf.
- 13 leaves foliated 1-13, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red through first three folios (f. 1-3r) vertical margins marked with double red line.
Extent1 item (13 leaves) : 13 x 29 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrībhartṛhariṇāciracitaṃśṛṃgāraśataṭīkā samāptam // śubhamastu // (f. 13).
- Sex--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 516: Śṛṅgāraśataka are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.