Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 524 Śakuntalā / शकुन्तला
TitleŚakuntalā / शकुन्तला
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 524
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9959657703503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageIn Sanskrit and Prakrit
Manuscript for private contemplation or public recitation/performance and is a full version of the dramatic retelling of the Hindu mythological figure Śakuntalā, an orphan girl from the union of a renunciant and a heavenly nymph (apsarā). The narrative follows the love affair and marriage between Śakuntalā and king Duṣana and their various trials and adventures. Originally told in the epic Mahābhārata, the story was adapted by the poet Kālidāsa in the 5th century.
- Title from margin abbreviations throughout, upper left verso.
- Written in 11-12 lines per leaf.
- 37 leaves foliated 1-37, upper left and lower right verso.
- Dated saṃvat 1825 (1768) (f. 37v).
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with quadruple black line.
Extent1 item (37 leaves) : 12 x 26 cm
ColophonColophon: iti niṣkrā[n]tāḥ sarve saptamoṃkaḥ kṛtiriyaṃ kālidāsasya saṃvat 1825 aśvanavadi 14 [//] (f. 37v).
- Hindu mythology
- Love--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Love poetry, Indic
- Śakuntalā (Hindu mythology) in literature
- Orphans in literature
- Plays (document genre)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 524: Śakuntalā are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.