Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 530 Raghuvaṃśa / रघुवंश
Other related names
- Bhālacandra Gaṇeśa, former owner
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 530
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9959689903503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript used for recitation or contemplation and is comprised of the fourth of the total 19 chapters (sargas) of the work. Draws heavily from Hindu mythology and pantheons as well as assumes some knowledge of the storyline of the Rāmāyaṇa and its main characters and gives a genealogical account of Rāma's dynastic background and lineage. Work is full of rich, poetic imagery of flora and fauna and references to courtly life and Hindu dharma.
- Title from title page (f. 1r).
- Written in 7 lines per leaf.
- 10 leaves foliated 1-10, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double red line.
Extent1 item (10 leaves) : 12 x 25 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīraghuvaṃśemāhākāvye śrīkavikālidāsakṛtau dignijayonāmacaturthasargaḥ samāptaḥ śrīsāṃvasadāśivārpaṇamstumini āścinavadha 13 saumyavārasamāpto 'yaṃ // (f. 9v).
- Formerly owned by Bhālacandra Gaṇeśa (10v).
- Hindu mythology
- Rāma (Hindu deity)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 530: Raghuvaṃśa are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.