Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 536 Gītagovinda / गीतगोविन्द
TitleGītagovinda / गीतगोविन्द
- Jayadeva, active 12th century
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 536
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9959690013503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript used for recitation and contemplation and is a poetic exploration of the amorous relationship between the Hindu deities Kṛṣṇa and Rādhā. Kṛṣṇa is presented not as an avatar of Viṣṇu, but as the essence of the universe itself. First literary work to fully develop the figure of Rādhā, the cow herdess, and her relationship with Kṛṣṇa. Poem is often approached as a devotional text by modern Vaiṣṇavas.
- Title from colophon (f. 9v).
- Written in 15-20 lines per leaf.
- 9 leaves foliated 1-9, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; vertical margins marked with double black line on some folios.
Extent1 item (9 leaves) : 11 x 21 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīgItagoviṃde jayadevakṛtau pītāṃbaro nāṃadvādaśaḥ sargaḥ // śrīkṛṣṇārpaṇam astu // śubham astu // (f. 9v).
- Krishna (Hindu deity)--Poetry
- Rādhā (Hindu deity)--Poetry
- Avatars (Religion)
- Love poetry, Indic
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--17th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--17th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 536: Gītagovinda are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.