Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 590 Mudrālakṣaṇāni / मुद्रालक्षणानि
TitleMudrālakṣaṇāni / मुद्रालक्षणानि
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 590
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9959998833503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript used for private recitation and rituals involving the worship of Hindu deities, especially Lakṣmī and Nārasiṃha, the man-lion avatar of the deity Viṣṇu. The work is especially focused on hand gestures (mudrās) and other rites such as bathing, and the recitation of mantras, associated with Tantric worship, serving as a kind of manual or guidebook.
- Title from colophon (f. 6r).
- Written in 10-11 lines per leaf.
- 6 leaves foliated 1-6, lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; some significant syllables, words, phrases, and numbers highlighted in red; border colored with yellow powder.
Extent1 item (6 leaves) : 10 x 24 cm
ColophonColophon: iti mudrālakṣaṇāni // (f. 6r).
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Gesture--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Mudrās (Hinduism)
- Puja (Hinduism)
- Lakshmi (Hindu deity)
- Narasiṃha (Hindu deity)
- Hindu mantras
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 590: Mudrālakṣaṇāni are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.