Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 591 Rāmagāyatrī / रामगायत्री
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 591
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9959998843503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript used for private recitation or prayer and contains a series of mantras and hymns, especially the Gāyatrī mantra (originally a Vedic hymn), in praise of the Hindu deity Rāma identified in the text as the son of Daśaratha. Also identifies the Vedic goddess Gāyatrī with the Tantric, feminine power known as Śakti.
- Title from colophon (f. 2r).
- Written in 9 lines per leaf.
- 2 leaves foliated 1-2, middle left and middle right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins.
Extent1 item (2 leaves) : 10 x 21 cm
ColophonColophon: iti rāmagāyatrīṃ sandhyāyāṃ yathā śaktijapet // (f. 2r).
- Hindu hymns, Sanskrit
- Gāyatrī (Hindu deity)
- Hindu mantras
- Rāma (Hindu deity)
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 591: Rāmagāyatrī are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.