Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 596 Rātrinirṇaya / रात्रिनिर्णय
TitleRātrinirṇaya / रात्रिनिर्णय
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 596
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9959891223503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is used for consultation and is a short treatise or discussion (nirṇaya) on the celebration of special nights (rātri) of the Hindu calendar (usually around September or October) dedicated to the deity Śiva such as the Mahārātri, Kālarātri, Vīrarātri, and others, typically part of the Nine-nights (navarātri) celebrations.
- Title from incipit (f. 1r).
- Written in 15-16 lines per side.
- 1 leaf.
- Dated saṃ[vat] 54 māgha (Saturday, January 20, 1798) (f. 1v); century not given, but based on the quality of the paper, most likely one is the 1800s.
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout.
Extent1 item (1 leaf) : 9 x 18 cm
- Written in the town (grāma) of Jūka (f. 1v), likely in Orissa state; manuscript was sold with Ms. Coll. 390 Item 595.
- Siva (Hindu deity)
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Hindu calendar
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 596: Rātrinirṇaya are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.