Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 648 Jyotiṣa / ज्योतिष
TitleJyotiṣa / ज्योतिष
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 648
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9960420713503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript used as a kind of guide book or manual for early Hindu and especially Vedic astronomy and is part of the supplemental literature to the Vedas or the Vedāṅga literature; makes reference to Vedic ritual and an unusual reference to a system of 5 year yugas (cosmic ages).
- Title from colophon (f. 4v).
- Written in 7 lines per leaf.
- 4 leaves foliated 1-4, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double red line.
Extent1 item (4 leaves) : 9 x 19 cm
ColophonColophon: iti jyotiṣaṃ saṃpūrṇaṃ (f. 4v).
- Hindu astronomy
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 648: Jyotiṣa are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.