Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 664 Grahasaṃjñā / ग्रहसंज्ञा
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 664
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9960474143503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is a kind of manual for use by family priests (purohitas) reading various kinds of astrological signs for the purpose of divination. Manuscript is a collection of three short texts called Saṃjñās, each pertaining to the signs associated with planets (graha), constellations (nakṣatras), and astrological houses (rāśis). List of names written in three columns, as well as a praise to the Hindu deity Gaṇeśa written in large bubble-letters, along with other notes on the front folio (f. 1r)
- Title for third text and manuscript from final colophon (f. 3v); title Nakṣatrasaṃjñā for first text from internal colophon (f. 2v); title Rāśisaṃjñā for second text from internal colophon (f. 3r).
- Written in 8-9 lines per leaf.
- 3 leaves foliated 1-3, upper left and lower right verso.
- Dated saṃvat 1849 (1792) (f. 3v).
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with quadruple black line.
Extent1 item (3 leaves) : 10 x 27 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīgrahasaṃjñāsapūrṇam // śubham // svastirīśake 1714 // śrīsamvat 1849 // māse jyeṣṭa śubdi 3 roja 5 likhitaṃ // [??]ārmaṇā[?] // rāmaṃ madgurave namaḥ // mukāmamā[??]m̐ḍāśubham // (f. 3v).
- Hindu astrology
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 664: Grahasaṃjñā are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.