Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 889 Fourteen yoga upaniṣads
TitleFourteen yoga upaniṣads
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 889
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9963034423503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is used for contemplation, study, and recitation, and contains fourteen late upaniṣads, part of the so-called Yoga-upaniṣads, written most likely in the medieval era; while styled after the classical upaniṣads and engaging with traditional topics related to the knowledge of the Self and the brahman, they are also influenced by Saṃkhyā-yoga philosophy as well as the Śakta tradition (such as in the Sītā upaniṣad).
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Written in 20-21 lines per leaf.
- 39 leaves foliated 1-39, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, verse dividers or phrases highlighted in red throughout.
- Watermarks on blue European paper are the name J. Caperony as well as the date 1839.
Extent1 item (39 leaves) : 21 x 31 cm
ColophonColophon: iti rāmarahasya upaniṣatsamāptaḥ // śrīrāmacaṃdrārpaṇam astu // (f. 39v).
- Self (Philosophy)
- Hindu philosophy
- Philosophy, Indic
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 889: Fourteen yoga upaniṣads are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.