Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 957 Three early upaniṣads
TitleThree early upaniṣads
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 957
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9962593243503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is used for contemplation, study, and recitation, and is a collection of three early upaniṣads; these are late Vedic, philosophical treatises employed to help reinforce and instill ideas and concepts about the makeup of the universe. Such ideas and teachings typically went beyond tradition Vedic training that focused on the performance of and/or strict adherence to rituals alone; however, the texts themselves comment on and/or espouse different kinds of ritual practices themselves. Table of contents appears at the beginning of manuscript (f. 1r).
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Written in 12-13 lines per leaf.
- 17 leaves foliated 1-17, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; metrical accents added in red at the beginning of the manuscript (f. 1v-2v).
Extent1 item (17 leaves) : 10 x 16 cm
ColophonColophon: iti ṣaṣṭhaḥ praśnaḥ // paśnopaniṣatsamāptaṃ // śrīkṛṣṇārpaṇamastu // (f. 1r).
- Self (Philosophy)
- Hindu mantras
- Hindu philosophy
- Philosophy, Indic
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Tables of contents
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 957: Three early upaniṣads are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.