Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 591 Folder 19 Manuscript leaf from Régime du corps
TitleManuscript leaf from Régime du corps
- Aldobrandino, da Siena, d. 1287
Call numberMs. Coll. 591 Folder 19
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9941649083503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageIn Middle French
Leaf from a 14th-century copy of a mid-13th-century French treatise on diet and health, supposedly written at the request of Beatrice of Provence. The text on the leaf is from Book 2 of the Régime du corps, which addresses care for various parts of the body: it runs from the end of the chapter on the eyes, through chapters on the ears and teeth and gums, to the beginning of the chapter on the face. References to Aristotle and Avicenna appear in the manuscript. Written in a rounded Gothic script in 50 long lines, ruled in brown ink, with rubrics and a 2-line initial in blue or red at the beginning of each chapter. The long line layout for this manuscript is unusual; the text usually appears in 2 columns. The leaf was later used as a binding for another volume.
Extent1 item (1 leaf) : 265 x 192 (text 195 x 113) mm
- Sold by Bernard Quaritch (London), cat. 1348 (2007), no. 88.
- Hygiene--Early works to 1800
- Medicine--Early works to 1800
- Medicine, Medieval
- Manuscripts, French--14th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval
- 14th century
- Science -- Medicine
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 591 Folder 19: Manuscript leaf from Régime du corps are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.