Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Oversize 42 United States military commission
TitleUnited States military commission
- United States
- Washington, George, 1732-1799
- Knox, Henry, 1750-1806
- Stagg, John
Other related names
- Crandall, W. W, former owner
- Sudo, Maryann, former owner
Call numberMs. Oversize 42
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9949256323503681
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Commission of Thomas H. Cushing as Captain in the Second Sub Legion (the 2nd Infantry Regiment), as of 4 Mar. 1791, signed and dated 19 Mar. 1793. Signed by George Washington, President of the United States; Henry Knox, Secretary of War; and John Stagg, Chief Clerk of the War Department. An engraved form printed on parchment with information about name, rank, and date added by hand and with paper seal attached in the upper left corner. At the top is an engraving of the American eagle much as it appears in the Great Seal of the United States; at the bottom is a vignette containing weapons and flags and the statement Drawn & engraved by Thackara & Vallance, Philadelphia. Inscription in ink at the bottom edge of the verso: Cap. Cushing.
- Sold by the Carnegie Book Shop (New York) to W. W. Crandall.
- Gift of Maryann Sudo, 2010.
- United States.--Army--History--18th century
- United States.--Army--Officers
- Military commissions
- Manuscripts, American--18th century
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Oversize 42: United States military commission are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.