Collection ID: 0007 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lehigh Codex 7 Anon. The Brut
TitleAnon. The Brut
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLehigh Codex 7
(Bethlehem, Lehigh University, Special Collections)
- Hirsh: MS Hirsh 7
LanguageMiddle English (1100-1500)
These manuscripts are fragments of leaves from a fifteenth-century copy of the Middle English Brut chronicle. The original manuscript was written in anglicana script in two columns, with decorated initials. The text on the fragments concerns King Constantine and King Vortyger (Fragment A); King Engist and King Vortyger (Fragment B); and Godwin, Earl of Essex, and Edward the Confessor (Fragment C).
Extent3; Fragment A, 265 x 95 mm; Fragment B, 295 x 120 mm; Fragment C, 175 x 205 mm
FoliationModern foliation in pencil on Fragment B, 25, and Fragment C, 51, upper right recto
Historiated initial of King Constantine (Fragment A), seven lines, with foliate extensions; three-line illuminated initial in gold on pink and blue ground (fol. 51v); one-line initials throughout alternating between blue flourished with red and gold flourished with text ink
- Formerly framed and backed with newspaper clippings from The Sun (London) dated 12 March 1934 and pages from a December 1933 catalogue of the Chelsea Auction Rooms, Ltd.
- 15th century
- These images and the content of Special Collections Lehigh Codex 7: Anon. The Brut are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Lehigh University Libraries, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Special Collections Lehigh Codex 7: Anon. The Brut. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
- Fragment A recto — Historiated initial A, King Constantine
Fragment A recto
6700_0000.tif (58.2 MB)
6700_0000_thumb.jpg (4.1 KB)
6700_0000_web.jpg (243.5 KB)
Decoration: Historiated initial A, King Constantine