Collection ID: 0016 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Penn Museum 89-13-414 89-13-414 Illuminated fragment of Phra Malai
TitleIlluminated fragment of Phra Malai
Call numberPenn Museum 89-13-414 89-13-414
(University of Pennsylvania, University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology)
- bibid: 9962729943503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Illumination cut from a folio of a Thai manuscript showing Indra listening to a sermon by Phra Malai. Phra Malai's face has been rubbed away. On the verso is text from the Phra Malai.
- Title supplied by Justin McDaniel (viewed on September 30, 2015)
- Written in 5 lines per segment.
- Written on khoi paper; manuscript originally folded concertina- or accordion-style, but this fragment of one folio is stored flat.
- Written and painted in central Siam in the late 19th century (Justin McDaniel).
- Dimensions of original manuscript: 28.2 x 19.7 cm.
- Reproduced from the original with permission of the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) license.
Extent1 online resource (1 folio) :
- Gift of the Estate of Elizabeth Lyons, Keeper of the Asian Collections, University Museum, 1989.
- Illumination of books and manuscripts--Specimens
- Buddhist monks--Pictorial works
- Indra (Hindu deity)--Pictorial works
- Fragments (object portions)
- Folded books
- Illuminations (visual works)
- Manuscripts, Thai--19th century
- Manuscripts--Thailand--19th century
- These images and the content of University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology Penn Museum 89-13-414 89-13-414: Illuminated fragment of Phra Malai are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.