Collection ID: 0016 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Penn Museum NEP26 Kitāb Duʻāʼ al-Jawshan / كتاب دعاء الجوشن
TitleKitāb Duʻāʼ al-Jawshan
كتاب دعاء الجوشن
Other related names
- ʻAlī ibn Abī Ṭālib, Caliph, approximately 600-661, attributed name
علي بن ابي طالب،
- ʻAlī Bāy ibn Ḥaydar, Mamlūk, scribe
علي باي بن حيدر،
- Qāʼit Bāy, Sultan of Egypt and Syria, -1496, dedicatee
- Ṣadīqī, Muḥammad ibn Aḥmad, former owner
صديقي، محمد بن احمد،
- Sharīf, ʻUmar, reader
- Andalaft, Dimitri, bookseller
Call numberPenn Museum NEP26
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology)
- bibid: 9977571413103681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
- between 1468-1496
Large format, illuminated copy of prayers from Kitāb Duʻāʼ al-Jawshan and the Duʻāʼ al-Sayfī, attributed to ʻAlī ibn Abī Ṭālib. The copy is dedicated to Qāʼit Bāy, the Sultan of Egypt and Syria (d. 1496). The first page of text gives the transmitter as Muḥammad ibn Zayn al-ʻArab Sharafshāh al-Ḥusaynī (p. ).
- Titles from caption titles (p. 3, 35).
- Dimensions of original manuscript: 390 x 285 (290 x 203) mm bound to 420 x 300 mm.
- Laid, non-European paper; 3 widely spaced chain lines visible on each page.
- Added notes: Two lines of poetry asking for mistakes to be forgiven (p. ); an owner's note in the name Muḥammad ibn Aḥmad al-Ṣadīqī and a reader's note in the name ʻUmar al-Sharīf (p. 35); another reader's note (p. ).
Extent1 online resource (31 bi-paginated leaves) :
FoliationModern pagination added in pencil to every other leaf, upper left recto; no catchwords.
BindingBound in brown leather over pasteboard with black leather, blind stamped onlays of a central mandorla, two pendants on the vertical axis, and cornerpieces; brown leather doublure.
Dual-page illuminated first opening in blue and gold with dedication and titles in white (p. -3). Large, gold roundels with red, blue, or green interiors with a gold flower design decorate the first page of text (p ). 8-lobed gold flower roundels with blue and red dots appear in the space at the end of each short line. Headpiece in gold and blue with title (partially scrubbed) (p. 35). Gold, red and blue finispiece with scribe's signature in ruled box with blue and gold cornerpieces (p. ). Textblock ruled in gold and blue. Short lines of pages 15-33 written in red with darker red headings at an angle to the outside of the line.
- Purchased from Dimitri Andalaft in 1924
- Formerly owned by Muḥammad ibn Aḥmad al-Ṣadīqī (owner's note p. ).
- Islam--Prayers and devotions--Early works to 1800
- Illumination of books and manuscripts--Specimens
- Illuminations (painting)
- Notes (documents)
- Manuscripts, Arabic
- Manuscripts, 15th century
Inside front cover
9360_0001.tif (237.5 MB)
9360_0001_thumb.jpg (4.4 KB)
9360_0001_web.jpg (307.2 KB)
9360_0003.tif (237.5 MB)
9360_0003_thumb.jpg (5.7 KB)
9360_0003_web.jpg (436.8 KB)
Section: Duʻāʼ al-Jawshan
Decoration: Illuminated frontispiece
9360_0004.tif (237.5 MB)
9360_0004_thumb.jpg (5.7 KB)
9360_0004_web.jpg (424.5 KB)
Decoration: Illuminated frontispiece
9360_0005.tif (237.5 MB)
9360_0005_thumb.jpg (6.7 KB)
9360_0005_web.jpg (316.4 KB)
Decoration: Illuminated roundels
9360_0015.tif (237.5 MB)
9360_0015_thumb.jpg (5.7 KB)
9360_0015_web.jpg (289.5 KB)
9360_0036.tif (237.5 MB)
9360_0036_thumb.jpg (4.5 KB)
9360_0036_web.jpg (258.0 KB)
Section: Duʻāʼ al-Sayfī
Decoration: Illuminated headpiece
9360_0061.tif (237.5 MB)
9360_0061_thumb.jpg (5.8 KB)
9360_0061_web.jpg (332.2 KB)
Decoration: Illuminated colophon and finispiece
Decoration: Reader's note
Inside back cover
9360_0064.tif (237.5 MB)
9360_0064_thumb.jpg (4.5 KB)
9360_0064_web.jpg (326.2 KB)