Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E 32 Bible; Notes on a church synod
TitleBible; Notes on a church synod
Other related names
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E 32
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
- deRicci: 13
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
This manuscript is a thirteenth-century Vulgate Bible, written in England, lacking the Psalms and the prologue before Genesis. Many of the numerous brief marginal notes have been trimmed. The Bible is followed by the end of an incomplete Interpretation of Hebrew Names, starting in the letter S (fols. 249r-251r), and three pages of medieval notes (fols. 251v-252v). The published account of the first two articles (out of seven) agreed upon at a church synod that opened in London on 24 November 1584 is copied on a newer leaf at the end of the volume (fols. 253r-253v).
- Reader's note of scholarly references dated 1702 (fol. 136r); another reference in the same hand follows the 1584 synod articles (fol. 203r)
ExtentIii+ 253+iv; 208 x 150 mm bound to 215 x 165 mm
FoliationModern foliation in pencil, upper right recto
BindingLate nineteenth-century brown morocco with tooling; stamped in gold on spine: BIBLIA SACRA LATINA; pages are trimmed with loss of marginal notes; marbled endpapers and pastedowns
Red and blue flourished initials throughout; red and blue chapter numbers and running titles; rubrication in faded red ink
- Possibly owned by Roman-born British engraver Benedetto Pistrucci in the nineteenth century (1783-1855; inscription about his birth, "Benedetto Pistrucci nato in Roma il ventiquattro maggio del mille settecento ottantaquattro" in an extremely minute hand mounted on second flyleaf); sale by Sotheby (London, 23 July 1906, no. 441) to Bull; John Frederick Lewis, Philadelphia; given by his widow, Anne Baker Lewis, to the Free Library of Philadelphia in 1936
- De Ricci, Seymour, with the assistance of W. J. Wilson, Census of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the United States and Canada, vol. 2 (New York,: H. W. Wilson, 1935-40), p. 2027, no. 13.
- Free Library of Philadelphia, A Descriptive Catalogue of the John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts in the Free Library of Philadelphia, compiled by Edwin Wolf, 2nd, with an introduction by Dr. A.S.W. Rosenbach (Philadelphia: The Free Library, 1937), p. 40, no. 32.
- 13th century
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia, Lewis E 32: Bible; Notes on a church synod are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E 32: Bible; Notes on a church synod. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
Inside front cover
6028_0001.tif (83.4 MB)
6028_0001_thumb.jpg (7.8 KB)
6028_0001_web.jpg (560.9 KB)
6028_0008.tif (83.4 MB)
6028_0008_thumb.jpg (4.9 KB)
6028_0008_web.jpg (402.8 KB)
Section: Vulgate Bible (without Psalms)
Decoration: Decorated initial I
6028_0086.tif (83.4 MB)
6028_0086_thumb.jpg (5.5 KB)
6028_0086_web.jpg (481.9 KB)
6028_0496.tif (83.4 MB)
6028_0496_thumb.jpg (5.7 KB)
6028_0496_web.jpg (514.6 KB)
6028_0504.tif (83.4 MB)
6028_0504_thumb.jpg (6.5 KB)
6028_0504_web.jpg (587.5 KB)
Section: Interpretation of Hebrew Names (partial)
6028_0509.tif (83.4 MB)
6028_0509_thumb.jpg (5.6 KB)
6028_0509_web.jpg (413.0 KB)
Section: [Early readers' notes]
6028_0512.tif (83.4 MB)
6028_0512_thumb.jpg (6.0 KB)
6028_0512_web.jpg (415.9 KB)
Section: Articuli per archiepiscopum, episcopos et reliquum clerum Cantuariensis provinciae ...