Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E 42 Bible, glossed Mark
TitleBible, glossed Mark
Other related names
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E 42
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
- deRicci: 16
- TELMA-Luxury-Bound: 2937
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
This manuscript is a copy of the Gospel of Mark with interlinear and marginal glosses, written in Italy in the middle of the twelfth century. The main text is ruled in drypoint and the marginal glosses are ruled in lead as needed. Many of the marginal glosses are from Jerome (Hier) and Bede (B). Spaces left for initials were not used. A later reader has marked the glosses with minuscule letters.
- Four front flyleaves, two paper followed by two parchment; two back flyleaves, paper
ExtentIv+119+ii; 225 x 140 mm bound to 235 x 160 mm
FoliationModern foliation in pencil, upper right recto
BindingNineteenth-century English leather, blind-tooled, marbled endpapers, gold-stamped on spine EVANGEL. SANCTI MARCI.
Spaces for two large initials (fols. 1r, 4v) and small initials beginning chapters left unfilled
- Rev. John Henry Ellis; his sale London, Sotheby's, June 30, 1913, no. 68, to Maggs; John Frederick Lewis, Philadelphia; given by his widow, Anne Baker Lewis, to the Free Library of Philadelphia in 1936
- De Ricci, Seymour, with the assistance of W. J. Wilson, Census of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the United States and Canada, vol. 2 (New York,: H. W. Wilson, 1935-40), p. 2028, no. 16.
- Free Library of Philadelphia, A Descriptive Catalogue of the John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts in the Free Library of Philadelphia, compiled by Edwin Wolf, 2nd, with an introduction by Dr. A.S.W. Rosenbach (Philadelphia: The Free Library, 1937), p. 49, no. 42.
- Free Library of Philadelphia. Saints, Scribes, and Scholars: An Exhibition of Illuminated Manuscripts and Early Printed Books from the Collections of the Rare Book Department of the Free Library of Philadelphia. Compiled by Satoko I. Parker, Walter A. Frankel, and Marie E. Korey (Philadelphia: The Free Library of Philadelphia, 1988), p. 5.
- TELMA-Luxury Bound: A corpus of manuscripts illustrated in the Netherlands (1400-1550) (http://www.cn-telma.fr/luxury-bound/manuscrit2937/)
- 12th century
- Church Fathers
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia, Lewis E 42: Bible, glossed Mark are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E 42: Bible, glossed Mark. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
- fol. 1r — Prologue to the Gospel of Mark, glossed (not glossa ordinaria); incipit: [M]arcus eua[n]g[e]lista dei electus et Petri in baptismate filius ... [fol. 1r]; explicit: …qui autem increm[en]ta dat d[eu]s est. [fol. 4r]
- fol. 4v — Gospel of Mark, glossed; incipit: [I]h[es]u Xpi filii d[e]i sicut scr[i]ptum est in ysaia propheta … [fol. 4v]; explicit: …et sermone[m] confirma[n]te sequentibus signis. [fol. 116r]
Inside front cover
6423_0001.tif (79.1 MB)
6423_0001_thumb.jpg (6.6 KB)
6423_0001_web.jpg (539.3 KB)
6423_0010.tif (79.1 MB)
6423_0010_thumb.jpg (4.9 KB)
6423_0010_web.jpg (380.5 KB)
Section: Prologue to the Gospel of Mark, glossed (not glossa ordinaria)
6423_0017.tif (79.1 MB)
6423_0017_thumb.jpg (5.5 KB)
6423_0017_web.jpg (403.1 KB)
Section: Gospel of Mark, glossed