Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E 57 Carmen in honorem Beatae Mariae Virginis
TitleCarmen in honorem Beatae Mariae Virginis
Other related names
- Flachmann, Bartholdus and Flachmann, Johann, former owner
- Rosenthal, L., former owner
- Lewis, John Frederick, former owner (http://viaf.org/viaf/63874811)
- Lewis, Anne Baker, former owner
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E 57
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
- deRicci: 53
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
This manuscript contains fragments of a poem in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- The leaves of this manuscript fragment were used as part of the binding in a book belonging to Bartholdus and Johann Flachmann in 1491, as identified by the inscription: "Iste liber p[er]tin[et] bartoldo flachma[n] Alio [autem?] no[m]in]e peymis, Iste liber usum d[omi]no bartoldi flachma[n] Alio [autem?] no[m]i[n]e peyms An[n]o d[omi]ni M cccc lxxxxi,"(fol. 9v-10r) and "Johan[n]es flachma[n]" (fol. 3r)
ExtentIii+12+iii; 163 x 110 mm bound to 177 x 130 mm
FoliationModern foliation in pencil, upper right recto
BindingThree-quarter green leather with marbled-paper sides "Fragmentum Carminis In Honorem B.M.V. MS. XIII. Cent." on the spine
- Bartholdus and Johann Flachmann, 1491; L. Rosenthal, cat. 120, 1910, no. 194; (directly to?) John Frederick Lewis, Philadelphia; given by his widow, Anne Baker Lewis, to the Free Library of Philadelphia in 1936
- De Ricci, Seymour, with the assistance of W. J. Wilson, Census of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the United States and Canada, vol. 2 (New York,: H. W. Wilson, 1935-40), p. 2034, no. 53.
- Free Library of Philadelphia, A Descriptive Catalogue of the John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts in the Free Library of Philadelphia, compiled by Edwin Wolf, 2nd, with an introduction by Dr. A.S.W. Rosenbach (Philadelphia: The Free Library, 1937), p. 63, no. 57.
- 13th century
- Literature -- Poetry
- Caroline minuscule
- Binding waste
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia, Lewis E 57: Carmen in honorem Beatae Mariae Virginis are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E 57: Carmen in honorem Beatae Mariae Virginis. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Inside front cover
4222_0001.tif (56.7 MB)
4222_0001_thumb.jpg (4.4 KB)
4222_0001_web.jpg (456.2 KB)
lewis_e_057_body0047spineref.tif (11.9 MB)
lewis_e_057_body0047spineref_thumb.jpg (1.8 KB)
lewis_e_057_body0047spineref_web.jpg (65.9 KB)