Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E 65 Constitutiones clementinae (Clementine constitutions)
TitleConstitutiones clementinae (Clementine constitutions)
Other related names
- Louis XII, King of France, 1462-1515, former owner (https://viaf.org/viaf/88890786)
- Anne, of Brittany, Queen, consort of Louis XII, King of France, 1476-1514, former owner (https://viaf.org/viaf/44273323)
- G. Michelmore & Co., former owner (https://viaf.org/viaf/132990947)
- Lewis, John Frederick, 1860-1932, former owner (http://viaf.org/viaf/63874811/)
- Lewis, Anne Baker, former owner
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E 65
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
- deRicci: 157
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
This compact volume, dating from the late fourteenth or early fifteenth century, contains the text of Clement V's Consitutiones, with a preface by Pope John XII and extensive commentary glosses by Giovanni d'Andreae. The text is written in several hands, and some of the script exhibits characteristics of Rotunda, suggesting a place of production in Southern France or Italy. The book's binding dates from the early sixteenth century and is blind stamped with geometrical patterns including the crowned ermine and crowned fleur-de-lys, which may indicate a link to the royal library of France under Louis XII and Anne of Brittany.
- Book is in multiple hands; textualis with rotunda characteristics may indicate a southern French or Italian place of production
ExtentI+196+i; 165 x 115 mm bound to 169 x 124 mm
FoliationModern foliation in pencil, upper right recto
Collation1-24 (8), 25 (4, +1 +2 +3 +4)
SignaturesSignatures, some partially cropped, visible at fols: 41r, 42r, 43r, 44r, 81r, 82r, 84r, 89r, 90r, 91r, 92r, 99r, 100r, 105r, 106r, 123r, 124r, 129r, 130r, 131r, 137r, 138r, 139r, 140r, 153r, 161r, 163r, 180r, 186r, 187r, 188r, 194r, 195r
CatchwordsOriginal horizontal catchwords, some partially cropped, in lower right corner at fols: 8r, 16r, 24r, 40r, 48r, 56r, 72r, 80r, 88r, 96r, 112r, 128r, 136r, 144r, 152r, 160r, 168r, 176r, 184r; recto side catchword on fol. 169r
BindingEarly sixteenth-century French calf, flush to text block, blind stamped with the crowned fleur-de-lis of Louis XII of France and the crowned ermine of his wife, Anne of Brittany; remnants of holes for clasps; restored and rebacked
Three illuminated initials on first page; red and blue initials and paragraph markers throughout
Colophon[Possible colophon, fol. 196v:] Johannes andree fecit opus hoc
- From the library of Louis XII of France and Anne of Brittany ?; sale by Anderson (New York, 6 Dec. 1920, no. 108) to G. Michelmore, resold for him by the American Art Association (New York, 30 Jan. 1923, no. 432) to John Frederick Lewis, Philadelphia; given by his widow, Anne Baker Lewis, to the Free Library of Philadelphia in 1936; cover stamped with the blind stamped with the crowned fleur-de-lis of Louis XII of France and the crowned ermine of his wife, Anne of Brittany; catalog entry of the American Art Association pasted on to inside front cover; written in pencil in Lewis's hand on catalog entry "Amer Art assoc N 7o 1/30/1923"; written in pencil on inside of back cover, "repaired Tribulet [?] 64 BC misc corp funds" and "$90"
- De Ricci, Seymour, with the assistance of W. J. Wilson, Census of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the United States and Canada, vol. 2 (New York,: H. W. Wilson, 1935-40), p. 2054, no. 157.
- Free Library of Philadelphia, A Descriptive Catalogue of the John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts in the Free Library of Philadelphia, compiled by Edwin Wolf, 2nd, with an introduction by Dr. A.S.W. Rosenbach (Philadelphia: The Free Library, 1937), p. 71-72, no. 65.
- Cashion, Debra Taylor, "Cataloging Medieval Manuscripts, from Beasts to Bytes," Digital Philology: A Journal of Medieval Cultures 5, no. 2 (Fall 2016): p. 148 (article pp. 135-159).
- 14th century
- 15th century
- Notable binding
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia, Lewis E 65: Constitutiones clementinae (Clementine constitutions) are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E 65: Constitutiones clementinae (Clementine constitutions). This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
- fol. 1r — Constitutiones of Clement V, with preface by John XXII and commentary gloss by Giovanni d'Andrea; incipit: Iohannes episcopus seruus seruorum dei dilectis filiis doctoribus et scholaribus uniuersis ... [central text, fol. 1r]; explicit: Si tunc in premissis casibus sollempnis ordo iudiciaris in toto uel in parte non contradicentibus partibus obseruetur non erit processus propter hoc irritus nec etiam irritandus. Deo gratias [central text, fol. 196v]
Inside front cover
6492_0001.tif (46.0 MB)
6492_0001_thumb.jpg (4.8 KB)
6492_0001_web.jpg (365.1 KB)
Decoration: Print catalog clipping
6492_0004.tif (46.0 MB)
6492_0004_thumb.jpg (5.5 KB)
6492_0004_web.jpg (326.9 KB)
Section: Constitutiones of Clement V, with preface by John XXII and commentary gloss by Giovanni d'Andrea
Decoration: Illuminated initial I
Decoration: Illuminated initial I
Decoration: Illuminated initial Q
6492_0059.tif (46.0 MB)
6492_0059_thumb.jpg (5.4 KB)
6492_0059_web.jpg (363.5 KB)
Decoration: Decorated initial Q
6492_0192.tif (46.0 MB)
6492_0192_thumb.jpg (5.0 KB)
6492_0192_web.jpg (339.0 KB)
Decoration: Decorated initial M