Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E 136 Carta pisana; Sententiae (Sentences)
TitleCarta pisana; Sententiae (Sentences)
- Isidore, of Seville, Saint, -636 (http://viaf.org/viaf/803890/)
Other related names
- Voynich, Arno M., former owner
- Lewis, John Frederick, former owner (http://viaf.org/viaf/63874811/)
- Lewis, Anne Baker, former owner
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E 136
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
- deRicci: 125
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
This manuscript is known for containing the fragmentary "Carta Pisana" (c. 1090-1110), the earliest example of an Italian document written entirely in the vernacular and the earliest written example of the Tuscan dialect (fol. 87r). It lists costs associated with building or repairing a ship, and was trimmed for use as a flyleaf in the present codex. On the verso are two biblical commentaries (fol. 87v). The main text of this manuscript is an abbreviation of Isidore of Seville's Sententiae (fols. 1r-86v) written in the north of Italy in the twelfth century. The script, in Caroline miniscule, is decorated with one large and two small decorated initials at the beginning of the three books of the Sententiae. The scribe made a number of mistakes in the numbering of the books and chapters, and the original text has been annotated, corrected, and glossed by both contemporary and later hands.
- Parts of the text not originally included (Bk. I, Ch. 5; Bk. II, Ch. 28) added by a later scribe after the explicit on fol. 86v
- Six lines erased on fol. 87r
- Glosses, corrections, and annotations throughout
- Damage (red ink?) to fols. 17v-18r
- Capitula given for the three books of Isidore's "Sententiae"
Extent87+i; 281 x 192 mm bound to 292 x 200 mm
FoliationFoliation in pencil, upper right recto
Collation1 (6), 2-10 (8), 11 (9, +9)
SignaturesEarly quire signatures in Roman numerals at fols. 6v, 14v, 22v, 30v, 38v, 46v, 54v, 62v, 70v, 78v
BindingWhite, eighteenth-century (?) parchment over pasteboards
One large decorated initial, two small decorated initials, and numerous colored initials throughout
- Arno M. Voynich, London (1915); John Frederick Lewis, Philadelphia; given by his widow, Anne Baker Lewis, to the Free Library of Philadelphia in 1936; inscribed on inside of front cover: "10-11th Cent," "₤250", and "Spanish Ms 10-11th century (?) 'Isidorus' Bought from Arno M. Voynich of London 1915"
- De Ricci, Seymour, with the assistance of W.J. Wilson, Census of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the United States and Canada, vol. 2 (New York,: H. W. Wilson, 1935-40), p. 2047, no. 125.
- Free Library of Philadelphia, A Descriptive Catalogue of the John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts in the Free Library of Philadelphia, compiled by Edwin Wolf, 2nd, with an introduction by Dr. A.S.W. Rosenbach (Philadelphia: The Free Library, 1937), p. 150, no. 136.
- Tito Antoni, I costi industriali di una azienda conciaria della fine Trecento (1384-1388) (Pisa: Pacini, 1973), p. 8.
- Ignazio Baldelli, La carta pisana di Filadelphia: conto navale in volgare pisano dei primi decenni del sec. XII (Florence: G.C. Sansoni, 1973).
- Tito Antoni, "The Pisan Document of Philadelphia", Accounting Historians Journal, vol. 4, no. 1 (1977), pp. 17-24.
- Antonio Mastruzzo, "Il conto navale nel panorama grafico della Pisa altomedievale," in Pisa e il Mediterraneo: Uomini merci, idee dagli Etruschi ai Medici, Marco Tangheroni, ed. (Milan: Skira, 2003), pp. 190-195 and 444.
- 11th century
- 12th century
- Caroline minuscule
- Church Fathers
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia, Lewis E 136: Carta pisana; Sententiae (Sentences) are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E 136: Carta pisana; Sententiae (Sentences). This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
- fol. 1r — Isidore of Seville, Sententiarum, Book I; incipit: Summum bonum deus est. quia incommutabilis est et corrumpi omnino non potest. Creatura uero bonum. sed non summum est. quia mutabilis est. Et dum sit quidem bonum non tamen potest esse summum. [fol. 1r]; explicit: Et si pietas pro defunctis fidelibus flere iubeat. fides tamen pro eis lugere uetat. Illi enim deplorandi sunt in morte. quos miseros infernus ex hac uita recipit. non quos celestis aula letificandos includit [fol. 86v]
- fol. 23v — Isidore of Seville, Sententiarum, Book II
- fol. 50v — Isidore of Seville, Sententiarum, Book III
- fol. 87r — The "Carta Pisana"
- fol. 87v — Commentary on Jerome's prologue to the book of Job; incipit: Si aut fiscella iunco texerem [fol. 87v]; explicit: … magis u tile quid ex odio meo ecclesiis Christi euenturum ratus quam ex aliorum negotio [fol. 87v]
- fol. 87v — Commentary on the Book of Hosea; incipit: Tempori ozie et ioathan et achaz et ezechie regum iuda et ieroboam filii ioe regis Israel [fol. 87v]; explicit: … templum dei purgasse ac purifi caffe monstrat [fol. 87v]
Inside front cover
6613_0001.tif (111.8 MB)
6613_0001_thumb.jpg (3.8 KB)
6613_0001_web.jpg (258.2 KB)
Decoration: Notations in pencil
6613_0002.tif (111.8 MB)
6613_0002_thumb.jpg (5.9 KB)
6613_0002_web.jpg (446.5 KB)
Section: Isidore of Seville, Sententiarum, Book I
Decoration: Decorated initial S
6613_0030.tif (111.8 MB)
6613_0030_thumb.jpg (6.4 KB)
6613_0030_web.jpg (431.7 KB)
Decoration: Decorated initial P
6613_0047.tif (111.8 MB)
6613_0047_thumb.jpg (5.9 KB)
6613_0047_web.jpg (357.9 KB)
Section: Isidore of Seville, Sententiarum, Book II
Decoration: Decorated initial O
6613_0101.tif (111.8 MB)
6613_0101_thumb.jpg (6.2 KB)
6613_0101_web.jpg (450.8 KB)
Section: Isidore of Seville, Sententiarum, Book III
Decoration: Decorated initial D
6613_0174.tif (111.8 MB)
6613_0174_thumb.jpg (6.1 KB)
6613_0174_web.jpg (370.4 KB)
Section: The "Carta Pisana"
6613_0175.tif (111.8 MB)
6613_0175_thumb.jpg (5.8 KB)
6613_0175_web.jpg (483.2 KB)
Section: Commentary on Jerome's prologue to the book of Job
Section: Commentary on the Book of Hosea
Inside back cover
6613_0178.tif (111.8 MB)
6613_0178_thumb.jpg (3.1 KB)
6613_0178_web.jpg (230.8 KB)