Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E 249A and B Compendium historiae in genealogia Christi (The Compendium of History in the Genealogy of Christ); Explanation of the Wheel of Sevens
TitleCompendium historiae in genealogia Christi (The Compendium of History in the Genealogy of Christ); Explanation of the Wheel of Sevens
- Peter, of Poitiers, approximately 1130-1205 (http://viaf.org/viaf/17579848)
Other related names
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E 249A and B
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
- deRicci: 323
- Leaves-of-gold: 68
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
These manuscripts are two unstitched membranes from the end of a roll of Peter of Poitiers' Compendium historiae in genealogia Christi. Lewis E 249 a displays the final segment of the biblical history of Christ's descent from Adam, arranged in a genealogical tree, surrounded by two columns of text. Lewis E 249 b illustrates the devotional image of the "Wheel of Sevens," a visual arrangement of the deadly sins, petitions, gifts of the Holy Spirit, virtues, and beatitudes in concentric circles around a head of Virtue personified, with two columns of text below explaining the diagram.
- Some wear to the paint in the roundels of E 249b.
- Sister leaves: Two membranes appeared in the catalogue of Berlin dealer Paul Graupe in 1928, lot 7, pl. 5; one of the miniatures from these membranes is now at the Cleveland Museum of Art, 1954.388. Two additional membranes are in the collection of Dr. Elie Borowski, Toronto, and another belongs to the Huis Bergh Collection, 's-Heerenberg, Netherlands, cat. 214. fr. 23.
- Mounting prevents examination and digitization of verso
Extent722 x 260 mm 694 x 257 mm
Three historiated roundels with gold backgrounds (Nativity, Crucifixion, Resurrection), one quatrefoil containing the head of Christ, one eleven-line illuminated initial, several two-line decorated initials alternating between blue with red flourishing and red with blue flourishing, and two genealogical diagrams (Lewis E 249 a); four roundels (Christ as judge, creator, resurrected Christ, Nativity of Christ) flanking a "Wheel of Sevens" with eight small roundels around the edge of personified vices and one small roundel in the center of the head of Virtue, one illuminated initial, and many one-line colored initials alternating between red and blue (Lewis E 249 b)
- Probably John Frederick Lewis, Philadelphia; given by his widow, Anne Baker Lewis, to the Free Library of Philadelphia in 1936
- De Ricci, Seymour, with the assistance of W. J. Wilson, Census of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the United States and Canada, vol. 2 (New York,: H. W. Wilson, 1935-40), p. 2075, no. 323.
- Morgan, Nigel, Early Gothic Manuscripts, part 2, 1250-1285, A Survey of Manuscripts Illuminated in the British Isles, vol. 4 (London: Harvey Miller, 1987), p. 180.
- Philadelphia Museum of Art, Leaves of Gold: Manuscript Illumination from Philadelphia Collections, edited by James R. Tanis (Philadelphia: Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2001), pp. 196-198, no. 68.
- 13th century
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E 249A and B: Compendium historiae in genealogia Christi (The Compendium of History in the Genealogy of Christ); Explanation of the Wheel of Sevens are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E 249A and B: Compendium historiae in genealogia Christi (The Compendium of History in the Genealogy of Christ); Explanation of the Wheel of Sevens. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
- Membrane 1, recto — Large miniature, Nativity
- Membrane 1, recto — Large miniature, Crucifixion
- Membrane 1, recto — Large miniature, Resurrection
- Membrane 1, recto — Small miniature, Head of Christ
- Membrane 1, recto — Illuminated initial B
- Membrane 2, recto — Large miniature, Wheel of Sevens
- Membrane 2, recto — Small miniatures, Roundels of Christ in four aspects
- Membrane 2, recto — Illuminated initial P
Membrane 1, recto
9183_0000.tif (136.1 MB)
9183_0000_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
9183_0000_web.jpg (287.5 KB)
Section: Compendium historiae in genealogia Christi [partial]
Decoration: Large miniature, Nativity
Decoration: Large miniature, Crucifixion
Decoration: Large miniature, Resurrection
Decoration: Small miniature, Head of Christ
Decoration: Illuminated initial B