Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 1:19 Gradual
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 1:19
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial A with the Expulsion of Adam and Eve from Paradise
- This cutting can be dated to ca. 1530. Paper was made in Nackel near Posen; identified by watermark of a crowned escutcheon containing a doubled cross.
- This miniature and initial begin the Introit for the first Sunday of Advent: 'Ad te [levavi animam] meam' (All my heart goes out to thee). The Expulsion from Paradise is a fitting start to the Advent season as a reminder of why the Incarnation was needed.
Extent190 x 210 mm
- 16th century
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 1:19: Gradual are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 1:19: Gradual. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.