Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 4:1 Bible
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 4:1
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial A with Judith beheading Holofernes, beginning the Book of Judith
- The Book of Judith is one of the deutero-canonical books included in the Vulgate Bible. It tells the story of the Old Testament heroine Judith, a Jewish widow. This initial depicts the moment when Judith beheads Holofernes, the leader of the Assyrian army. While the Jewish city of Bethulia was under siege, Judith entered the Assyrian camp to seduce Holofernes, only to slay him in his sleep. Her bravery inspired the Jews to defend themselves and drive away the Assyrians.
Extent162 x 297 mm
- 13th century
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 4:1: Bible are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 4:1: Bible. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.