Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 5:14 Book of Hours
TitleBook of Hours
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 5:14
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- The Hours of the Cross were typically illustrated with scenes from Christ's Passion. Here, two tormentors push the Crown of Thorns deeper into Christ's head with two sticks. In the late Middle Ages, Passion scenes could be very violent and gruesome in order to incite compassion in the viewer's heart for the suffering Christ. The prayers written below were added by a later, post-medieval scribe.
- The Mocking of Christ (Crowning of Thorns), beginning Terce of the Hours of the Cross
- The number '16' is written in upper right corner of recto, indicating that this leaf was once f. 16 of the original manuscript.
- This image shows the reverse of leaf with an historiated initial from a Book of Hours. The text contains the final prayers of Prime of the Hours of the Cross.
Extent144 x 200 mm
- 15th century
- Book of Hours
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 5:14: Book of Hours are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 5:14: Book of Hours. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.