Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 6:1 Prayer book
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 6:1
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Simon Bening, the Flemish artist who painted these miniatures, was one of the most celebrated illuminators of his time. Based in the city of Bruges in what is today Belgium, Bening's reputation was international and drew the attention of royal and aristocratic patrons all over Europe. These miniatures, for example, come from a now lost manuscript that may have been made for Fadrique Enriquez de Ribera (d. 1538), a Spanish nobleman who had commercial ties with Flanders. The coat of arms in the lower margin represents the families of Enriquez and Ribera.
- The Instruments of the Passion, the Last Judgment, the Resurrection of the Elect, and the Parable of the Fig Tree
- This image shows the reverse of a leaf with miniatures by the Flemish illuminator Simon Bening. The text comes from an unknown series of prayers.
Extent132 x 181 mm
- 16th century
- Prayer book
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 6:1: Prayer book are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 6:1: Prayer book. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.