Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 6:4 Psalter
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 6:4
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial B with the Penitent David
- The initial B and the text from Psalm 2 on the reverse of this cutting indicate that this initial comes from a psalter. David kneeling with a hat beside him on the ground as he prays to God suggests the penitent David, a subject that usually illustrates the beginning of the Penitential Psalms. Here, however, David is also wearing a crown and playing his harp, iconography that is more consistent with this initial's place at the beginning of the Psalms, which in the Latin Vulgate begins 'Beatus vir...' (Blessed is the man).
Extent133 x 137 mm
- 16th century
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 6:4: Psalter are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 6:4: Psalter. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.