Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 8:1 Psalter-Hours
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 8:1
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial C with St. Catherine of Alexandria and suppliants
- This initial belongs to a group of cuttings from the same manuscript now divided between the Free Library and the Bodleian Library at Oxford University. It originally marked the beginning of the Canticles. Other initials from the manuscript contain scenes from the life of St. Catherine of Alexandria, indicating that the original owner had a special devotion to the saint. Here, St. Catherine appears to a group of devotees. The women hold coiled ropes to be used in oil lamps, a reference to a legend that oil with miraculous healing powers flowed from the saint's bones in her tomb on Mt. Sinai.
- This image shows the reverse of a cutting with an historiated initial from a psalter-hours.
Extent55 x 47 mm
- 13th century
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 8:1: Psalter-Hours are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 8:1: Psalter-Hours. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.